9.28.2010

Shorter days, expanding asses...thanks DVR

In a previous post, I told you many of the reasons I adore this changing season. But I blasphemously neglected to mention one of my most favorite fall treats: GOOD TV! When I say "good" TV, I'm not talking about reality shows. Americas Biggest So You Think You Have Talent with the Stars is just not my cup o' tea. I'm talking about actors playing characters to make you laugh, cry, and watch develop over seasons, and absolutely no panel of judges.

Now, my TV watching until 2006 was slim to none. Other than Seinfeld re-runs I literally could not have told you anything that came on the tube. Things certainly changed when I got a full-time job. Between teaching or at least being at school between 8-12 hours/day, working out 4-5 times/week and working 2 different part-time jobs 1-2 times/week, I am SPENT when I get home. I take care of Housekeeping-type things the minute I get home because once I shower and sit down, it's over for me. I'm not moving unless there is a glass of wine or unnecessary salty snack I need to reach across the coffee table. DVR has transformed my view of TV and I'm not quite sure I could survive without at least 20 minutes of "wind-down" time each night.

The Top 5 Shows I am excited about returning this year are:
1) How I met your Mother- Mondays at 8 on CBS
Love the nightly bar conversations filled with flashbacks and flashforwards. Of course I'm a "Lilly" since she's a teacher and the married one of the group. Matt is nothing like Marshall, but I like to think our marriage is as happy as adorable as theirs. Oh, and did I mention THE Neil Patrick Harris as eternally single Barney; although I'm 99% sure he'll end up with Robin for good. And then there are videos thrown into a regular episode like this one:





2) Modern Family- Wednesdays at 9 on ABC
Everything a show needs to be successful. A beautiful, relatable family who is far from perfect yet so strong. Since this show has risen to fame, I have had many people tell me that Matt reminds them of dad Phil Dunphy. This made me very nervous, but he is flattered.


3) Cougar Town- Wednesdays at 9:30 on ABC
I was never a huge Friends fan, mainly because I was a few too many years shy of living on my own to really understand young adulthood. Coutney Cox in this show however grabs my attention with her ridiculous circle of friends (including her ex husband) and their mutual love of full glasses of wine...no matter what time of the day it is.

4) The Office- Thursdays at 9 on NBC
So, I'm a bit nervous that this show has been steadily on the decline any may hit rock bottom this year, but I still love it. Jim, Pam, Michael, Dwight...The characters are just the greatest! Andy has to be the best add-on character; proof of moments like this:

5) Saturday Night Live- Saturdays at 11:30 on NBC
Sure it has it's up and down seasons, but after 36 years it is still on the air. That's saying something...

What shows are you anxious to see this year?

Top shows I will miss this fall are:
1) LOST-For many of you, all you had to do was read the title and you understood. For the rest of you, maybe you haven't committed to one of the greatest tv series of all time. This is the opposite of reality tv because it makes you think and question everything. Not just about the characters, but about our own lives and purpose on this Earth. Yea, it's that deep, and it was that good.

2) Dexter-not because it's over, but because we no longer have Showtime. Greatest serial killer of the series removed, dead wife, 3 inherited children, and Julia Stiles on the set is going to make for an amazing season. We'll reconvene when the season dvd is released Dex :(

3) The Wire- Honestly, I am only in the midst of season 1 of the 6 and I'm already sold. Matt and I watch it on DirecTV's the 101 Network, reason #457 TWC can't hold a candle to DirecTV. I was hesitant to get into this show for years because I thought I couldn't handle it. It deals with real issues of innercity Baltimore and the police department who patrols it. It shows how drugs, violence, culture, and poverty take a toll on it's adults and ruin children's futures before they have a chance to make one. It's heart wrenching and sometimes hard to watch. I can't believe how the writers make me root for some of these criminals. It's friggin good.

Okay, out of all the tv shows come and gone, what would you give anything to see come back?

4 comments:

  1. I was addicted to Lost. Watched every single episode. Thought the show was amazing, but felt completely gypped by the series finale. While everyone can argue that the show was about the characters and how they grew etc etc blah blah...I still want to know about the island! I felt the producers took an incredibly easy way out...my two cents. I know a lot of people disagree : )
    As for the rest of the tv shows, I suck at watching tv...so can't really say. I do watch Keepin up with the Kardashian...such a guilty pleasure! dont tell anyone! dont judge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother are at the top of my list too! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to say I've been enjoying GLEE most of all this year. Started watching The Event also, didn't expect it to be a sci-fi deal but I've started watching now so I'm gonna stick with it for a while. Two shows I wanted to watch but haven't yet are "Detroit 187' and "My Generation", thought both looked good but hey, can't watch but so much TV...

    Lane-O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey theres no shame in watching a show if you can admit that you shouldn't be watching it. It's the people who think reality shows are real and that the Kardashians are actually important that worry me...

    GLEE Lane, really??

    ReplyDelete