9.13.2010

Holy Babies!

Let's play a numbers game, shall we?

NINE people I speak to regularly have had/will have babies this year. FIVE in the month of September alone. Despite the fact that I still need to be reminded to put away my laundry, all of a sudden I feel like a grownup. Where the H-E-double hockey-sticks has time gone? The people I used to act incredibly irresponsible with are now solely responsible for raising another human being and to be honest- it scares me a bit.
Ok, so the picture is a bit creepy, but you get the idea: lots of babies and all...anyways,
I'm starting to feel guilt that I am not prepared to take that leap. Granted, my heart melts the instant I see a newborn and the look on the dad's face makes me so excited to picture Matt one day in that role.

However, I'm not sure I "do" babies. 8 yr olds, yes. They can talk, take sarcasm, go to the bathroom on their own...these are things I need to have a daily relationship with a child. Heck, I'd even venture to say I can make the ages of 4-14 my b**ch (Matt gets to take the reins when their attitude overtakes their soul), but 0-3 makes me feel...well, selfish because I know I'm not ready to give up working full time or have someone relying on me the way a baby must.

People say, if you wait for the perfect time, you'll never have kids. While this may be true, I'm also a believer in gut feelings. With almost every big decision I've had to make, I go with my gut instinct and I usually come out on top. Right now my gut is telling me to hurry home and try the new New Belgium Hoptober...

3 comments:

  1. Definitely go with the beer. I'm in a similar, but very different, situation. I'm at the point in my life where a lot of the people I know are getting married. People keep asking me when Kelsey and I are going to. I feel like I need another decade to get my life in order and save money...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you follow that gut girl, because once you go there there is certainly no going back!!

    I have one piece of advice for you right now. Drink LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of beer and don't drink it quickly. Drink it and savor every single sip because the whole no alcohol thing is no joke. I used to laugh when people said they would smell other people's beer and drinks, but I have become that person. So keep throwing them back with pride and you can get your baby fill being Aunt Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a smart girl..go with your gut. Someday you will know when the time is right...or maybe not...and that is fine too. Like the previous poster said, there is no turnin' back. :-)

    ReplyDelete