8.18.2010

Pick your poison...I'll pick mine from NC

You know what I like? Beer. Good beer. And I like it often.
Now that that's out there...

I don't remember my first beer, although I assume it was in college at a frat house. It was most likely Southpaw, Keystone Light, or maybe Bud Light if the party throwers were really trying to show off.
What I have learned through my ongoing research over the past few years is that these beverages are hardly beer. They are grossly mass produced, additive-ridden, beer flavored wannabes who are the laughing stock of the bar. So basically, unless I'm on the beach all day or it's free...you won't see me drinking it.

So what DO I like to drink from my high horse? I'm glad you asked! I have visited many local breweries here in North Carolina and have found that the tastiest and most unique styles of beer were created just a few miles down the road. Below are some of my top choices. Enjoy!

1) Shotgun Betty of the Lonerider Brewing Company: I'm usually not a Hefeweizen gal, but this beer changes the rules. It's a wheat beer with a banana clove finish (yes, i said BANANA) and it's soooo delicious. We visited the brewery in person earlier this year, but you can also purchase Betty from Harris Teeter in the Raleigh area. Do yourself a favor a try this today!

2) Spring Bock and Octoberfest of the Carolina Brewing Company: Not to be confused with many other breweries that use "Carolina" in it's name, CBC is actually located less than 5 minutes from my house here in Holly Springs. Their Carolina Pale Ale is sold rampantly all over the triangle(and it happens to be Matt's overall favorite beer), but it's their seasonal beers that I find the most delicious. The Spring and Fall brews are my favorite and you can attend FREE tastings of all their beers every Saturday afternoon.
3) Gaelic Ale of the Highland Brewing Company: This deep amber beer
is quite bitter for my usual taste, but something about it keeps me coming back. I've never been to this brewery, but definitely plan on making the 3ish hour drive to Asheville some day as I hear it's an amazing place to visit, listen to music, and enjoy a brew or two. This is also widely sold In North Carolina groceries and bars.

1 comment:

  1. All IPA's all the time... I actually cant understand how ever drank Natty Light or crap like that. Hope school is going well

    Josh

    ReplyDelete