8.13.2010

Dogs and Storms do not mix


Here sits the cutest dog to ever walk this earth, right? He's sweet, well behaved, and looks lovingly into his mommy's eyes when she sticks a cell phone in his face to snap a photo. He's perfect.

Well, until this summer that is...

Papi is not a fan of summer storms. The noise, the intensity, even the silent but vibrant heat lightning sent him into straight panic mode!

When I say panic, I'm talking:
  • uncontrollable shaking and whining
  • eyes darting around the room at the flashes and source of noise
  • taking a deuce in the carpeted rooms downstairs b/c he's afraid to go outside
  • the worst one: burrowing into me under the covers like he's trying to get under my body to make it all go away. Mind you, this is taking place between 11pm-4 am (often when I have to work the next day)
I've read Marley and Me and all so I know he isn't alone in this fear, and according to this picture doctors are trying new methods to chill these crazy pups out. I'm just looking forward to the sleepy fall and winter drizzles where Papi is passed out on the couch like old times.

3 comments:

  1. There are natural, herbal mixtures that temporarily relax dogs. My buddy uses one to great effect on his dog during storms (Bear has similar reactions to storms as your dog).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew- we gotta get those!

    Oh, thanks. he's named after David Ortiz of the Red Sox:)

    ReplyDelete