8.30.2010

Fantasy football- not just for the boys anymore

For years I have wanted to be involved in the insanity that is NFL fantasy football. Matt has been managing teams and commisioning leagues since his teenage years and it was tortorous listening to him talk about his players, trophies, blah blah blah when I was just thinking to myself "it's not friggin real!" At some point, if you can't beat em, join em, right? I wanted to get in on the fun so 2 seasons ago, I asked Matt if I could join his league. Big mistake. Not only did he laugh hysterically, but he said there was no way in hell he'd be "that guy" who let his woman into the league. I am confident that his overt display of sexism was really fear that I would be victorious my first (and consequently only) year in, and that was a risk he wasn't willing to take. Or, he may have thought my wealth of football knowledge was on par with this guy...


In an effort to rectify this injustice, 2 seasons ago I began my own all female league, the "Pigskin Princesses"and last year the "Football Fems"". Sure, there were a few team mangers who were exactly like the dude featured above and some people (not going to mention any names since they have since tried to save face) didn't touch their rosters for the entire 2nd half of the season. But this 3rd season- now called "Not Your Grandma's League", things are getting pretty serious. We've gone from 8 to 10 teams, and have recruited some new, excited and knowledgeable members who will provide surefire competition all season.
I know some of my readers are bored to tears over this post, and believe me, I feel ya. I spend hours studying, predicting, watching, and strategizing how to make my team the most successful, but why should you care? Me gushing over how many yards my running back rushed for and the fact that my QB is up against Lions defense this week means nothing to you. Kinda like your kid's potty training updates or the fact they like or don't like applesauce...

Too harsh? Must be the competition kicking in. Tomorrow night for my draft I'm hitting the bar on $2.50 Pint night and raising a glass to football, fun, and not giving a fuzz what the boys think.

No comments:

Post a Comment