7.08.2010

Idiots Guide to reading quality books

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010

So, I'm not exactly what you call a "reader".
Yes, I know that I teach kids how to read and comprehend and predict and infer and all that, but the truth is that I just don't really love longer books. This is why I teach 3rd graders how to read rather than say, 11th graders. I love short stories and magazines and newspapers, but it takes a special book to keep me hooked for 500 pages.

These are the types of things I typically read...
<-- Chelsea Handler's hilarious latest installment of an interesting childhood, mind blowing amounts of one night stands, and poor physical and moral choices

A son who lives with his dad and literally just writes down sh*t his dad says -->
(Check out his webpage and twitter feed for bites of this ridiculousness)





I feel like I should be a more respectable reader though so I am making an effort to branch out of my comfort zone, hopefully with your help. Here is my first attempt:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo- By Stieg Larsson - 608 pages -

An international publishing sensation, it combines murder mystery, family saga, love story, and financial intrigue into one satisfyingly complex and entertainingly atmospheric novel.


So, I still have pretty much no idea what its about, but I'm going to give it a shot. At best, there are 2 other books in the series. At worst, at lease they are making a movie of it...

2 comments:

  1. I just recently read The girl with the Dragon Tattoo as well as the second one. Both are really good! The 1st takes a little while to get into unless you know Swedish places & financial info, but stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the movie...pretty graphic!

    ReplyDelete